Lessons from running

You know what's kind of weird? That a lot of the times, we don't try, and when I say that,  I mean we very rarely go all out. 

Let's compare it to running. When I go running, I usually run and then once I start getting tired or a little uncomfortable, and that's what most people do. You walk for a while and then wait for your so-called "second wind", but recently, I've started thinking that that "second wind" is really just another first.

I think that we very rarely go long enough on our first wind to need a second wind. We don't like to push ourselves. We get out of our comfort zone and then we say we're done. This is the hard part, we have to push past being tired and being a little uncomfortable and see what we can REALLY do. Go all out and see what your real limits are, not just the ones you make up. The other day, I kept going after I started feeling a little tired, and you know what? I ended up running 5 miles on my "first wind" and believe me, I would NEVER think that was possible without me dying on the side of the road (okay, maybe a little dramatic, but you get the point).

My point is, you've got one chance now, so why not monopolize on that and go all out? See what you can do and amazed at how far you can go. Push yourself to the limit and not to the ones you make up, but the ones that are real, because the hardest obstacles to overcome are the ones that are made up in the mind, not actual ones. So push yourself, you'd be surprised at what you can accomplish.

No comments