The disconnect isn't so bad

Let's be real, we all LOVE our cellphones.

We wake up in the morning, we check our social media and texts. From the time we wake up to the time we go to sleep, we are connected.

What's sad is how much we depend on that thing. Heaven forbid we are in a meeting or in a class and we CAN'T check it. We have anxiety, we panic. We can't check our phones, WHAT DO WE DO?!?!

Recently, my phone met an untimely death by submersion in toilet water; I didn't have a phone for an entire week. The first two days were rough and I didn't know how to survive, I'd feel weird leaving the house, I was worried important stuff was happening and I wouldn't know about it because I had no phone. But then it got normal and I was fine and I could do whatever I wanted. It was nice not having a phone and having to be a slave to that thing. 

So what's the point of all this? I have a challenge for all y'all. 

The challenge? Tomorrow when you're walking to places, don't walk around with your phone in your hand. Really, in those 10 minutes you take to walk to class, I don't think you'll miss that much. Take the time to see how beautiful (or not) the place you live in is, actually SEE people you know and say hi to them, take time to think about life. Just don't look at your phone and see how it goes.

No comments