More than me

A lot of people ask me why I do what I do. Why do I spend so many more hours at work than I am required to? Why do I still do things with my sorority, when I don't have a position and I'm graduating? Why do I take so many classes? Why do I intern if it's not a requirement?

I can see how it's confusing to some, but to me it's really clear. While it is to help improve myself, it's more than that. It's passion. It's a love for the communities I am in and the things that I do. Actually, it's more than passion, it's vision and hope for the future.

If you just think about what you do, you won't get far. You can accomplish tasks, but you won't feel fulfilled. If you just think about what you get for what you do, you have an incentive to do what you're doing, so you might be marginally happier, but still I don't know if you'd be fulfilled. What I think will really drive you and make happy and feel fulfilled, is realizing WHY you are doing something. Working for a why, for a purpose, for a passion, can drive you further than any money or task ever will.

One of the greatest realizations I have come to in my life is this: while this is my life, the things I do shouldn't be solely for me. Yeah, self-gratification is great, but what's even better is helping build something bigger than myself. This life is not only my own, I am a part of many communities, and the things I do are to help grow my communities stronger and to leave them much better than when I came in.

Each individual, every person, has a chance to make an impact, and the great thing about that is YOU can choose what kind of impact you wish to make. By just realizing that ability of yours to impact those around you, you are ahead of the game. You can see how your actions aren't just yours, they are your community's. You are an agent of change, whether that be for better or worse; you matter and you can and will make a difference.

Your life has purpose, now go chase it and show the world what you can do.


No comments