Don't be a mean girl

One thing I will never understand is why women choose to tear each other down, rather than build each other up and make forward progress. We aren't women, we are "mean girls", maybe not like the movie, but in reality that's what happens. It's a CHOICE to speak poorly about other individuals, it's a CHOICE to take women down.

When will we realize that knocking someone down doesn't make us look any better. In my opinion, what you say about others reflects more upon YOUR character than it does theirs. We should be confident in ourselves and our abilities that we don't feel the need to make people look worse in some twisted way to show that we are better. It doesn't work.

Why not change the way we think and choose to help one another? We can make the choice to be better and help each other succeed  We can fill in the spaces where we are lacking, we can work together to reach a common objective of success. If I can be successful, why wouldn't I want to help you if I could? Each person brings something different to the table, and if decided to contribute to making ourselves and each better, instead of pointing out differences and alienating others, our world, specifically our female world, would be so much better.

In all honesty, words hurt. When someone speaks negatively about you or someone or something you love, it hurts and it's frustrating. I am sure my words have hurt others and I am truly sorry for things I have said because I felt inadequate at the time. Words are hurtful, so before you speak, please consider if you truly mean what you are going to say. I know we've all felt it, no matter how thick our  skin is, it gets to us, just a little. Be kind to one another, and just think before you speak.

I'm not saying that I've never done this, because I have and I am not blameless in this mean girl epidemic, but I am trying to better. I am actively trying to be better and help those around me rather than knock them down. It's not hard, but it's a choice and it is something that I work towards every day. The world's not perfect and we get frustrated with each other, but setting your mind to something is the first step to change.

So make a choice, are you going to be a mean girl or a woman of character and integrity? The choice seems pretty easy to me.

No comments