You make a lot of friends, don't you?

"I bet you're one of those people who just goes up to a group of people and makes friends with them". A classmate said this to me the other day, and it made me realize, that I really AM that person, and I see it is as a compliment that he was able to notice this. Yeah, some people may think I'm weird for talking to complete strangers or a bit out there for being so outgoing or even awkward, but it is something that I am proud of.

I am a huge believer that while we want to surround ourselves with others, all you need is one person. One person to believe in you, one person to be your friend, one person to show they care. KNOWING that you have a person that cares can propel you so far forward in life, because all you really need is to know that you are loved and that someone out there knows you will do great things with your life.

It is this belief that makes me feel so willing to embarrass myself in order to meet new people. I try not to care about what the outcome will be, I just want to know more about people. I want to connect with the people around me because, well, why not? We are occupying the same space at the same time, so instead of being "too cool" and just looking at my phone all the time, why not actually INTERACT with my peers. Why not find out what's happening in the lives of others'? I've given up the remote thought that I am "cool" because in all honestly it doesn't matter. I am a person just like any other; regardless of any preconceived notions people may have about me or themselves, everyone deserves someone in their life that wants to know more about them. If I'm that person, cool. But I will never know unless I take the initiative to talk to people.

All of this is to say, I want to get to know the people around me, I want to get to know you. I've never realized how out of the norm some of the things I do may be, but I do them and I am not embarrassed  I want to get to know you and if that necessitates me putting my guard down and abandoning the thought of coolness or popularity, I am MORE than willing to do it.

No comments